Simple Piano Stand Upgrade
In a conversation with my husband recently I came upon a realization. I was telling him about my plans to update a bookshelf and he asked why I would bother changing it at all. It serves its function well, yet, I couldn't stand it. We just see things so differently! To him the things we place in the room are there for a use and that is all that matters, however, I view everything from a design perspective. Everything, from the large pieces of furniture to the smallest decor, either add to or detract from the entire look of the room. Anyway, one of the things that we disagreed on was the look of our electric keyboard stand. When I looked at that thing with its utter lack of design all I saw was a big minus sign. It was ugly and didn't add to the look of the room at all. It is something I would hide away when company came. It needed a makeover.
I took it to the basement where I do all my projects to take measurements on it with the intention of making a new one. Without much of a plan I started laying pallet boards out and messing with them to figure out a design. But, why should I build an entirely new structure when the old one worked just fine? So, here is my simple piano stand upgrade. First, let's go over materials:
- Basic keyboard stand
- Two thicker supporting boards
- Five thinner boards
Tools used were:
- Circular saw
- Nail gun and 1 inch nails
- Cordless drill
The process was really quite simple; below is a picture of what I basically wanted it to look like.
To get the legs to lay nicely on the floor I traced a flat line using another board on the bottom and top of the board. Then I cut those lines
Below is the shape the board should end up with.
Lay those across the two supporting legs. They should fit perfectly.
Now construct the top by nailing two short boards to the ends of all the table top boards like so:
I guess I should mention that there was a lot of sanding involved before these steps. I chose not to stain or paint because I like the way the boards looked the way they were.
Next, I placed a couple of screws where the two supporting legs join in the middle and through the top boards down into the legs. I decided not to secure the wood to the metal stand. It stays really nicely, but can be removed by lifting it up and over, which is an option I like to have.
And, here is what it turned out to look like:
In case you forgot, here's a little before and after:
Now, it adds to the look of the room instead of detracts. I actually love the clash of the clean lines with the rustic wood and it was so easy to put together. I was able to do it in one afternoon.
If you don't have an ugly keyboard stand, something you could still take away from this is that putting together a design is all about looking at every item and asking what it does for the look of the room. If something isn't adding to it, think of a way to upgrade it with simple materials you might have on hand. Paint, pallets, leftover hardware, there is so much that can be done with a little creativity.
I wish you the best of luck in your DIY home beautifying journey!